The human condition.
It’s perhaps our favorite subject matter in the world of photography, and it’s global.
There is sense of familiarity and history, cross culturally, when you see a photograph that makes you relate in a deep personal sense.
The richest mine for the subject matter of humanity is, of course, the city.
Any city. Every city
The great masters of this genre express their deep love and care for their fellow man, woman and child.
One of our favorites is Helen Levitt. Know as “the most celebrated and least known photographer of her time,” she photographed New york City ina way that encapsulated the times of her life.
If you wore batman mask, a princess outfit, or any other character on halloween, the children depicted in this, one of her more famous images, goes deep into a common core.
Who can’t see past the masks of these kids and tell a version of a story? Maybe from their own childhood?
photo © Helen Levitt
Archive for the 'Weekly Giveaway' Category
The human condition.
- Tisch Photography and Imaging
- “Robert Frank, Books and Films, 1947-2016”
- Jan. 28 – Feb. 11, 2016
- 721 Broadway: LOBBY & 8TH FLOOR GALLERIES
- NY, NY
- Tel: 212.998.1930
- Annenberg Space For Photography
- Oct 24, 2015 – Mar 20, 2016
- 2000 Avenue of the Stars, #10
- Century City, CA. 90067
- Tel: 213.403.3000
- Pace Gallery
- Irving Penn
- Jan 29, 2016 – Mar 05, 2016
- 534 West 25th Street
- New York NY 10001
- Tel: 212.929.7000
- Getty Center
- The Younger Generation: Contemporary Japanese Photography
- October 6, 2015–February 21, 2016
- 1200 Getty Center Drive
- Los Angeles, CA. 90049
- Tel: 310-440-7300
- Yossi Milo Gallery
- CHRIS KILLIP, IN FLAGRANTE TWO
- Jan.28–Feb. 27,2016
- 245 Tenth Avenue
- New York,NY 10001
- Tel: 212-414-0370
- Howard Greenberg Gallery
- MARVIN E. NEWMAN: SEQUENTIALLY SOUGHT
- Through Jan. 30th, 2016
- 41 East 57th Street, Suite 1406
- New York,NY 10022
- Tel: 212-334-0100
- Staley-Wise Gallery
- PATRICK DEMARCHELIER: PHOTOGRAPHS 1975 – 2015
Jan. 30th, 2016
- 560 Broadway
- New York,NY
- Phone: 1-212-966-6223
- Museum of Modern Art
- Ocean of Images: New Photography 2015
- November 7, 2015–March 20, 2016
- 11 West 53rd Street
- (212) 708-9400
- Metropolitan Museum of Art
- The Aftermath of Conflict
- Through March 6th, 2016
- 1000 Fifth Avenue (at 82nd Street)
- New York, NY 10028
- Phone: 212-535-7710
- Morrison Hotel Gallery: Fine Art Music Photography
- Always something cool. Seriously
- Short Term, Changing Shows
- 116 Prince Street, 2nd Floor
- New York, NY 10012
- Phone: 212.941.8770
Is there an exhibition we’re missing? Let us know on twitter.
Like what we’re posting?
Join us on Flickr.
Got a hot link we’re missing?
Let us know on twitter.